PSA: Today’s update to the Oculus VR app on Samsung phones is causing heavy battery drain
- [Update: Block has been lifted] WhatsApp Is Blocking Telegram Links In Its Android App
- Google is rolling out a ton of new navigation voice commands
- Google releases Android Wear 2.0 dev preview 3, confirms public release is delayed until early 2017
- Exclusive: Google will introduce Google Wifi, a $129 home Wi-Fi router, on October 4th
- Exclusive: Google’s new phones will be called the Pixel and Pixel XL
Those of you with a newer Samsung phone might want to take a peek at the battery usage today. Many users are reporting substantial battery drain after… by Ryan Whitwam in Applications, News, Samsung
@AndroidPolice: PSA: Today’s update to the Oculus VR app on Samsung phones is causing heavy battery drain
Those of you with a newer Samsung phone might want to take a peek at the battery usage today. Many users are reporting substantial battery drain after an update to the Oculus VR app. The only fix right now appears to be completely uninstalling the app.
Users are reporting the CPU in their phones is staying cranked up, preventing the device from going to sleep. This really burns through the battery. One post says the Galaxy S7 lost 70% of its juice in three hours. Oculus VR is the app that runs your Gear VR UI, so you won’t be able to use the headset while this app is uninstalled.
Apparently, the problem is with a new part of Oculus VR known as Oculus Rooms. The Oculus VR app is getting stuck in an installation loop where it continuously downloads and reinstalls this app. You’ll be able to reinstall Oculus VR once a hotfix rolls out to everyone, but removing the app is probably your best course of action right now.
I was very surprised when mid day I was putting my phone in silent and I noticed it wa 18%! I thought it was Samsung Good Lock as I updated yesterday, but even with default System UI it was draining. Finally found out it was this and uninstalled. Hope it is fixed soon, wanted to use the Gear VR today.