Oculus Touch is now available for preorder
- Discuss: Oculus Touch is now available for pre-order
- Oculus is also selling a Rift + Touch bundle, but at no discount: $798, which is what each of those would cost separately.
- Oculus finally has its motion controllers for Oculus Rift, and they’re coming this year.
- The Touch controllers are impressive, and they’re necessary to reach out and interact with objects in Oculus apps.
- Don’t forget you’ll also need a compatible Windows PC, although Oculus is aiming to make those PCs more affordable soon.
Here’s what you need to know to buy these VR controllers.
@CNET: Oculus Touch controller preorders are now open to everyone
Just a reminder: The Oculus Touch controllers for the Rift VR headset are finally available for preorder today. But will you buy a set?
If you already bought an Oculus Rift earlier this year from Oculus, you should have received an email about getting “priority status” to order Touch controllers. Preorders are currently live for all buyers, but those who preordered the Rift will get theirs shipped ahead of new customers.
According to Oculus, to keep that priority status (which means you should receive a Touch by December 6), you need to log in with the same email you used to buy the Rift, and place the preorder by Thursday, October 27, at 11:59pm PT.
The Touch controllers, first unveiled in 2015 but given a price and release date last week, cost $199/£189/about AU$290 (converted; Australian price is posted in USD) and will be shipping December 6. They’re accessories to the Oculus Rift, a VR device that costs $599/£549/AU$649. Don’t forget you’ll also need a compatible Windows PC, although Oculus is aiming to make those PCs more affordable soon. Oculus is also selling a Rift + Touch bundle, but at no discount: $798, which is what each of those would cost separately (£738 or about AU$1,145).
The Touch controllers are impressive, and they’re necessary to reach out and interact with objects in Oculus apps. The Touch set comes bundled with an extra camera sensor and two free games, though you may also need a third sensor (which will cost $79 and go on sale closer to the December launch) to walk around in VR.
A new wave of Oculus Touch-required games are also coming to the Oculus Rift starting in December. Check out our impressions of the best games we’ve played for Oculus Touch so far.